Your semi-truck is your office, and it’s also your home when you’re on a run.
While you’re focused on making on-time deliveries, avoiding traffic hazards, and logging your miles, there are many things you can do to have a pleasant driving experience.
What can you bring along to stay comfortable and connected? Here are a few semi-truck cab accessories and supplies that will make life on the road more enjoyable.
- Wear the right gear. When you’re driving all day, you’ll appreciate a quality pair of polarized sunglasses to prevent eye strain, headaches, and fatigue. Make sure you’ve got a pair of breathable work gloves with a comfortable fit and a reflective safety vest. Pack an extra change of clothes in case of unexpected delays.
- Get cooking. Want to spend less time and money on truck stops? A microwave and/or slow cooker lets you prepare healthier food at a lower cost than you can get by eating out. Bring a small refrigerator on board for storing leftovers and healthy snacks like fruits and veggies. An insulated lunch bag and mug will keep hot things hot and cold things cold.
- Stay comfortable. Pack a few extra blankets in case you’re stuck in frigid weather. A mylar blanket in particular does a great job keeping you warm. A noise-canceling headset gives you a little peace and quiet when you’re ready for a break from all those traffic sounds.
- Keep clean. Have an extra supply of basic toiletry items and grooming supplies nearby. Backup contact lenses, solution and glasses are also essential. Wash up before you eat with hand sanitizer, and bring along wipes for cleaning up dust, spills and sticky residue.
- Get organized and connected. A windshield mount for your phone helps to keep your hands on the wheel, and don’t forget an extra charging cable and backup power for all of your devices. Bring along a few low-tech tools in case you run into technical difficulties — a clipboard is great for filling out paperwork, and extra pens, pencils, and notepads will come in handy, too.
- Enjoy some entertainment. What do you do when it’s time for a break but not exactly the time to sleep? Install a mobile wifi hotspot and/or laptop mount to keep you connected to the world outside your cab. A gaming console and mobile satellite dish let you kick back with your favorite shows while you’re on the road, and a Bluetooth speaker keeps you humming along to your favorite tunes.
- Be prepared. What if you’re a little under the weather or need to tend to a minor injury? Bring along a first aid kit with bandages, medications and other treatments, along with some tissue paper and either ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It’s also a good idea to have a backup flashlight and extra keys on board.
In addition to choosing the right semi-truck accessories, you’ll need a state-of-the-art truck to put them in. Pedigree offers a wide selection of fleet-maintained trailers and semi-trucks in a range of colors. Our inventory includes trucks from top brands like Freightliner and a variety of different trailer types like reefers, flatbeds, and tankers. Contact us to find the right vehicle for you!